Mandira is gifted with a very sonorous voice. She has a unique style of singing inherited from her guru. Her style of khayal singing is characterized by pure and meticulous treatment of ragas. Taans and sargams are developed on a variety of rhythmic patterns which travel through the octaves.
Mandira Lahiri is a foremost representative of Pt. Chinmoy Lahiri's Gharana of North Indian Hindustani Classical music.She was born in Assam and was initiated to Vocal music by her maternal uncle Late Sri Birendra Kumar Phukan. Later on with her advancement as a student she came to Kolkata to study under Guru and father-in-law late Pandit Chinmoy Lahiri, the prolific teacher/performer who produced some outstanding performers like Begum Parveen Sultana.She has a few recordings to her credit. Her CD “RASAMANJARI” through Biswas records, USA is being widely distributed and loved.
Two other CDs named “Bhajan Deep” (Hindi Bhajans composed by V. Balsara) & “Bhubono Bhoria Baje” (Bengali Ragpradhans composed by Late Pt. Chinmoy Lahiri) have been released by Biswas Records in the U.S.A. She has also a few cassettes publishes under the guidance of Sri V. Balsara which is also very well received.
RECOGNITION & ACCOLADES
- She is an empanelled artist of ICCR
- She is an Empanelled Artist of Spic Macay
- She was a senior instructor and Guru(trainer) of West Bengal Government State Music Academy (Pashchim Bonga Rajya Sangeet Academy) from 2013-17
- She is a member of the Jury Board of All India Radio and Dordarshan.
- She is the recipient of "Jadu Bhatta Award"
- She is the founder of Magan Mandir, a registered organization named after Sangeet Acharya Pandit Chinmoy Lahiri
- Recieient of the prestigious "Girija Shankar Award 2023 by Govt. of West Bengal